I agree with JohnK that there are many great sounding receivers out there and that some of them can be had for a very reasonable amount of money. I very much disagree with the idea that all solid state amps (receivers) sound the same. That having been said, I had Technics SX? 940 (5 or 6 x 100 watts) I used it for 2 channel with a pair of M3s before I got my ASL tube amp. The Technics had terrific sound quality, noticeably better than my Harman Kardon AVR65 or Sony STRDB 1070. I found the Technics at Frys for something like $150. The HK was expensive. Go figure.

Anyway, I'd consider the following choices for a 2 channel system:

1. Panasonic SAXR 25, 45 or 55 (55 can be had on Amazon for $230, the 25 can be had for under $200. These receivers have digital amplification and have been very well received by folks (who can hear the difference between different amps/receivers) who use them for 2 channel music.

2. check your local classifieds for a high quality 2 channel amp ... I like the Kenwood KA 9100, but there are many great amps out there (you should only consider integrated amps so you don't have to buy a preamp)

Get those M3s, they're great speakers.

If you really want to knock your socks off, fish around for a nice used tube amp (Single End Triode).

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.