Why exactly are separates better? So, using Rotel as an example, the RB-1050 and RC-1070 combo (70 wpc) is $400 + $500 resp. = $900 versus the integrated RA-1062 for $700. Please forgive me if these prices are not the lowest, I just did a quick search.

So what is the extra $200 for? Well, 10 wpc. Also the added convenience of being able to upgrade separately. Is there anything else? Any why should there be? What is the intrinsic benefit of building two separate components instead of one? Is it only upgradablility/ flexibility? Is the preamp built into the 1062 inferior to the RC-1070? Again, why not make them the same?

One more question: As I implied in my other post, I will want to really only hook up my computer to this system. Can I hook it up directly to an amp (and therefore control the volume on my computer) or do I need an int. amp or pre-amp first? I guess I really don't know what the preamp does. Even if the sound wasn't the best this way it would give me an upgrade path later on...

I want to understand some of this before I invest in something. I actually have an old technics sa-gx130. The volume control doesn't work well anymore (crackling as I move it) but I may try to fix it, by the M60s ($900) and then upgrade the amp later on if necessary. If the amp isn't THAT important to sound quality this may be the best idea...

Cisco