Ok....I think I'll pop in with a stupid...er...Ignorant, question here.

I used to have an Austin Healey with a 0-60 time of about 13 sec. I could run around through all the twisty bits with the 35MPH speed limits and still have a wonderfull time zappin' thru the gears and hangin' the tail out and barely breaking the speeed limit!

A good friend with his bright yellow De Tomasso Pantera had a different experience: He was over the speed limit in first gear and couldn't break the tail loose on the corners unless someones life and bank account was in serious geopardy.

Who was having the most fun??

Same with subs?

I mean: When I listen to, say, WOTW at levels where my sub(which starts to drop off a bit at 33hz)is havin' fun rockin the house and shakin' the chairs thru the vast majority of the recorded material(but is clearly agonizing a bit down around 20)I can still go outside and hear that I'm not(yet)disturbing the neighbors, with solid stuff down to only 25 to 30.

Now...IF I were to buy a 500(No, dear Wife; I only said "If")If I were to buy a 500, would I find that in order to enjoy the sub immensely at 30 to 35 hz, would I have to turn the over-all gain down, in order to keep the stuff down at 20 and below, from disturbing the peace!?

See what I mean? Would the stuff at 20 to 25 and below, be so loud with a 500 that I'd Have to turn the sub gain down enough that the sound at 30 to 35 would also be attenuated and take all the fun out of having the sub in the first place??!!

Ultimate Bummer!
Rich.