Abyss:

Nice post. That is an example I was looking forward to ask if someone have done it. I was wondering about raising the sub a little some time ago, when I read in some post of someone that did it with success (sure if it was posted here at Axiom or somewhere else). I even got some MDF to make a base, but I havent got the time to cut it and shape it.

Thanks to your post, I will try to retry that quest of raising the sub in a nice MDF base. When I was "crawling" to find the best spot, I did find that when I lifted the front of the sub only with some material,and the sound actually improved (boomyness reduced). Actually I ran the sub with the front pointing upwards for a while (about 6in in the front, 2in on the back), but it was not as nice looking. Also when I located the sub in the listening position (I mean, exactly in my couch), the boomyness was reduced. What it did not happen very well, is that the spot I found when having the sub in the listening position, was not the best to put the sub into, so the sub is located somewhere more suitable for the task.

Sub location is critical, and extremely dependent of the room. That can not be stressed enough. There is a lot of cases in this forum about it. I learn that the heavy way that involves lifting the EP500 all around the living room!!!

In a side note, I do agree that ripping off a product without troubleshooting is just moronic. Troubleshooting and getting the best out of a product is part of the expertise a good reviewer should have.

For example, I had a lot of trouble getting the EP500 to work in my room, but I knew that before even buying the sub, and I had crawl, meter, lift, move, crawl again, and meter again in order to get the best out of it... and let me tell you, it have been a nice experience for me that never did it before, and the EP500 is just a super performer and the envy of my colleagues. I would never complain in this forum (or anywhere else) about the sub not sounding the way I thought as soon I opened the box. It took a good amount of my inexperienced and limited time to get it the way its now, and I am thinking of getting the 2nd in the next quarter, after a post that a member of this forum linked to a paper by Floyd E. Toole about running multisubs. (sorry, but I dont remember who wrote the link in the post)

And this forum is packed with knowledgeable people always willing to help non-experts like me on the setup of the equipment, and the search feature of the forum is really good.

It will be nice to read that paper you mentioned in acoustics. If you happen to remember the link, you can post it here at the board.

Regards

Last edited by aabouganem; 12/16/05 06:10 AM.