Hi Mark! I know this first suggestion may sound ridiculous, but how about a really good home theater in a box? If you are like me, it would be unacceptable even if it's for your folks, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I've actually been surprised at the sound quality of some of these units, but even so, I guess I'd be concerned about the "clarity" issue for your mother. So, here are a few better suggestions of my own...if you don't mind suggestions from a woman!

RECEIVER-I would stay away from the Sony's, for sure. The lower end models I've listened to always sound a bit hissy and tinny, if that makes any sense. Here's what *I* would get although it's a bit expensive, but still under $400.

SPEAKERS-I've personally never heard Fluance speakers before, but I someone told me this bookshelf sounds fantastic for the money. It looks good too. My brother bought the Fluance surrounds but I haven't heard them because he doesn't have his home theater completed yet. But I did *see* them and they were quite nice! They look like QS4's.

TV-I'm no help here, but when you mentioned the amount of cats, I about had an asthma attack (I'm highly allergic!) just thinking about them!

REMOTE-Definitely a Harmony remote as they are "activity" based and are programmable on the web. The reveiws are really good. In fact, I bought my brother one for Christmas. I would recommend the 676 since your parents have a DVR. It's pretty much the same as the 659 (which gets rave reviews), but the DVR transport buttons are located in a more convenient location. Comp-U-Plus is where I got it from at a great price. Here's a link directly to it on their website. The more expensive ones have color screens, but I dislike the buttons. Obviously, since my brother just got it, he hasn't had time to program it, so I'm not sure how he's going to like it. But I took the "test drive" they have online and it seems pretty straight forward.

SOURCES-As a matter of fact, I just went shopping with my mom for one of these. I read a lot of reviews on these combo units and unfortunately, they are all mixed. It seems like the build quality on these units, regardless of brand name, are not that great. I think the Toshiba's or Sony's are your best bet. My mom ended up with a Samsung, but I'm a bit weary of it.

Well, that's my $.02! Anyway, I really enjoyed reading about your parents, even if it was for a purpose. They seem like really "cool" folks!

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD