This subject has more hype to it than Herry Potter !?? haha
JohnK said it best, "your making it too complicated"..
Chess is right on with Home Depot/Lowes etc (inexpensive).. Ravi has the Oxygen Free Copper part down (prevents corrosion)..
And I LOVE BigWill's 'Garden Lighting' !! LOL.. You rock my friend.. I can just see the high-end gear guru's pulling out their hair !! hahaha
Save your hard earned green for speakers 'n amps 'n such, not for over rated needlessly expensive Super Duper speaker wire..
As for guage, since the cheap stuff is so cheap, we all tend to go a bit on the heavy side, but there is no harm in that.. That being said, 14 seems to be the most common, with 12 being the next favorite, as some systems have some pretty heavy hitting amps, and need the extra gauge to handle the load better.. I'm sure some are running 10 awg..
No harm in going with heavier wire, it's just that it starts to become unmanageable due to the thickness factor..
Ok, I'm outta hear.. I have to go check the ol' garage for some scrap zip line, for that new 1000 watt maga amp for my center channel.. Let's see, this 18 awg lamp cord, with the cracked and peeling chocolate plastic insulation should just do the trick..

LFE ! The rest is just details..