I think that you have taken a very broad approach to commenting on the issues you address. If you believe that you must spend heavily to achieve hifi, you have not done your homework. There are many amplifiers that are in the $600-$1k range that are the equals of many costing 3-4 times that. However, stating that sonic quality is reserved for a select few, and not for home audio is completely wrong and misguided.

....I remember the day when, sitting upon Mount Olympus, the Greek god of Auido, reached down and spoke thusly " From this day forward, you, by virtue of your extra sensory quality of your hearing are elevated into.....(wait for it)....the Golden Ears Realm. Please.....

Thos who know of my posts, will recognize this:
- I recommend the source be the most important decision.
I have not wavered from this principle. In building a system, the source should be the best quality, and the rest of the system addressed in due time. Most big box stores emphasize speakers and receivers. However if a source can not reporduce the music on the mdeia, the downstream components CAN NOT add this missing information. In terms of impressions, most consumers hear and see the speakers first, so they are inclined to purchase them. Will they make a bigger impression with end users...of course. But adding hifi speakers to a mass market amp and source will in no way be as musical as adding mass market speakers to a hifi source and amp.

You are correct, Wilson is leagues ahead of all the models/brands you mention. But again as those who know my posts:
- price points in the market demand that products be delivered that are strict to the cost=product+profit.

For this reason, it can be gauged that with less restrictions placed on delivering a speaker at a price point, the designer can use a better quality of internal parts. Does this always gaurantee a better performance? Not by a long shot.

Another edict I profess is:
- go and listen to an expensive system.
Do you like the sound? Perhaps you can not afford it, and no person will condemn another for not being able to do this. But most have not heard to line pieces, and are of the opinion that Best Buy/Futureshop (to cover both the US and Canadian big box store niche) contains the best there is. Another misconception. I urge you to seek out a true midfi/hifi dealer and listen. Don't take anyones word on the sound you hear....do you like it? Was it musical?

The bottom line is that some pieces are better than others. This is no different than any other consumer product.

But enough rambling....(sound of BBIBH jumping down off soapbox)

Regards,

BBIBH