I must admit that until recently, 'upgraditus' had been starting to take hold regarding the purchase of an additional 2-channel amp/seperates to hopefully 'improve' SQ even at lower volume levels (especially bass), as a majority of people who have upgraded have stated.

After extensively reading posts regarding this very subjective issue, I found myself gradually shifting to a more pragmatic approach, leaving myself open to the possibility that my mind may play a large role in SQ perception in terms of possible improvement upon what I already own.

After reading JohnK's posted article, it just plain makes more sense to me. In my opinion, the only reason to upgrade to a more powerful (at least twice the power) amplifier is to fill a much larger room with louder sound. I won't get better imaging, clearer mids, more dynamics, or better bass at low volume levels. I've got an EP500 helping out down there anyway! Speaker selection and room acoustics play the largest role in sound reproduction. It isn't my intention to upset anyone who believes otherwise... I'm just sharing my own conclusion.

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED