A WATT is a mathematical sum of voltage and current. (One watt equals the production or use of one joule of energy per second)

What is missing with the synopsis that “a power amp” only requires X Watt’s to effectively drive a set of speakers, does not take into consideration that while ONE WATT may be ample to drive a set at some deafening SPL, that ONE WATT may require 60 amperes of current. 120 VAC @ 60 amperes is roughly 7200 Watts.

This is where low end (low current capable) amplifiers can not supply the required current (amperes) to drive those speakers. IE: highly efficient 4 ohm speakers such as the M80.

For example, I have a POS AVR that I picked up at Costco a few years back for a HTIB system that was “rated” at 120 watts per channel. As an experiment, I hookep up my M80’s to it, and it would immediately go into overload protection and shut down when I would try to power it up. I then hooked up a set of M3’s to it and it would power up, but would shut down at half volume.

I’m far from being anywhere close to an EE and would be interested in your thoughts in regards to this (Gena / John).