I agree with you fellas. I usually listen to movies at 72db. Music, a bit less. Most of the music I listen to is jazz or female vocals, so it tends not to be too taxing on the amps. My Thiel CS 3.6 fronts are 4 ohm power hungry monsters, so I use the Yamaha Monster M-80s which are rated at 330 wpc, continuous 4ohms, at 0.02% distortion, Dynamic power (1KHz/4ohms) 640 wpc; Signal to Noise ratio 127db!!!; Damping Factor (1KHz/8ohms) 250. I figure they deserve some headroom. Great combination with the Yamaha brutes - power for the power hungry. Axioms are efficient. and the 8 ohm speakers at less than ear-splitting volumes don't need much power, but if you have a high quality amp (sounds good), then the more the better.

As to the FCC regs which permit manufacturers to rate multichannel amps on a per channel basis when the output is only accurate when 2 channels are driven is simply a license to proliferate false and misleading advertising. If a mfgr rates a 6 channel receiver's amp sections at 100 wpc, and when 6 channels are driven it only puts out 31 wpc, then anyone who relied on the 6x100w rating has been deceived. Simple.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 03/24/06 11:05 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.