Just my .02, but I feel mounting the left speaker on the wall is preferable to using a stand, even if it's only a few inches from the other wall. However, I still feel mounting the left surround where I showed it in the diagram I altered (position #2, basically) would be even better. JohnK is usually correct, and I often defer to his wisdom, but I can't help feeling that having the left surround mounted in a corner, while it will direct the sound toward the listening area, it would I think (emphasis on the word "think"), cut off the sense of anything happening in the left rear 90 degree quadrant.

Also, In my room, when I'm seated in my sweet spot, my surrounds are slightly behind the listening area. However, when I'm seated at my desk, the surrounds are just in front of me. I know that others, like Ken, are content with their surrounds either beside the listening area or in front of it, but I feel the difference between my two seats is quite noticeable. When I'm in the sweet spot, I get a more enveloping sound field, like I'm in the middle of things. When seated at my desk, everything seems to be taking place in front of me, with little happening in the 180 degrees to my rear. But, that's just me. You may have a completely different experience.

The best advice I can give you, is go with what you think will work best. If you put the left surround on the wall (position #1), and you're content with what you're hearing. VIOLA! If you're not, then you can always take it down, spackle the hole(s), dab a little paint on the spackle, and try the speaker in position #2. I've moved my surrounds several times, and I've become adept at spackling and painting. (indecision is a terrible thing, but it can result a learning experience )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton