Dvd is pretty much the only way I watch tv anymore.I just can't sit through commercials anymore.I don't have cable, never have,which means there's lots of good shows I don't/didn't see originally. In the 70's all the cool shows were on abc- we didn't get an abc station till '83 or so. Then fox came along and all the cool shows were there- we got a fox station a yr or so ago. UPN,WB, more cool shows I've never seen.
Last fall I read a review on tvshowsondvd.com of a show called Charmed- I'd never seen it but it sounded like fun so I bought it blind- its now in my top 5 favorite shows of all freaking time. Yes, I intend to watch it more than once, much more.
I have about 50 season sets at the moment, I buy in spurts so there's a few I havn't watched- yet.
Then there's the time factor- I can start,pause,or stop anytime I want. I can watch an episode of Charmed or Firefly in 44 min. Emergency and other 70's shows run 50 or a little more. I can watch an entire season in order in a few days if I get engrossed. I watched the first season of Emergency in a weekend- just couldn't stop.
There is the cost- most hour long shows can be had for $30-$45 online- roughly $2.00 per clock hour. Compare that to a movie- $20-$30 for a 1.5-2 hr film and the season set looks cheap.
I don't plan on buying TJ Hooker or Dallas but some will- more power to em,everyone's different.There are lots of older shows that you'll never see broadcast again, dvd is the only way you'll see them.