Are you planning to use the system more for music or for movies ? If you are leaning strongly one way or another I think this is a no-brainer -- M22+sub for movies, M60 for "primarily music". If not sure or 50/50, I would lean towards M22+sub because (assuming you get a decent sub) they will do everything well.

Having a decent sub really adds a lot for movies, but IMO the bass response on the 60s is more than enough for any music I play and I still *slightly* prefer the sound of full-range speakers vs. bookshelf plus sub, although I would be hard-pressed to explain exactly what I prefer. I only notice the difference when listening to relatively "pure, melodic bass tracks" so I'm guessing it is something not quite right in level/phase settings or placement resulting in response funnies around the crossover point.

Having said that, I ran with M2ti's plus a big SVS sub (well, with VP100 and QS8s as well) as my primary system for quite a while -- in a 13 x 30 room no less -- and was really happy with the sound for both movies and music. The M2s couldn't quite keep up when playing loud music but the M22s would be noticeably better.

[EDIT] Just to avoid misunderstandings, the M2s worked well for "reasonably loud music" in that sized room as long as I was matrixing the sound to 5.1 and using the center and surrounds as well. You wouldn't want to try to get "loud music" in a room that size from just M2s and a sub. M22s and a sub would be noticeably better, but M60s would be better again IMO. In a 12x13 room, though, it's a different story -- I think M22s and a sub would probably play as loudly as you wanted without crowding their limits.

Last edited by bridgman; 06/24/06 09:43 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8