Trying to define a winner or a loser in audio is too specific to an individual to state such opinion as a fact; so i don't. Although some of my audio enthusiasm has come from tweaking my system and room, more of my enjoyment comes from listening to other components or brands in as controlled a situation as possible such that i can provide myself with an honest environment to derive realistic conclusions as unbiased as i can either to myself or anyone else that really wants an opinion about potential character differences between two audio components. Must be the scientist in me.
The hard part is taking the time to set all this up. It takes days, but the end result is worth it. It was always frustrating to go looking for reviews on different brands and coming up with flowery ten page reports of points that were almost too ridiculous to read.

The latest review i saw was about using a CDP vs a DVDp when playing music cds because the spin speeds were different and as such, the dvdp will cause time delays in the playback. Secondly, playing music cds on a dvdp makes the music sound more thin and with missing information because it wasn't designed for that purpose. This review came from a men's magazine. Nice info. Clearly the editor wasn't much more informed about the subject and of course, who wrote the review? A guy who owns an audio shop.
The mere concept was laughable.
I almost wrote a letter to the editor to tip him of the false info that was presented in his magazine.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."