Quote:

I did not get a chance to demo a pair of GR60s against the GR20s, but perhaps there is a parallel with the Silvers.

I'm sure there is.
The 2.5 way system runs 2 drivers for the bass with the 1st driver also covering the midrange. I believe a dedicated midrange will have greater separation in notes but regardless, their dual woofer bass system is too uncontrolled. The M60s also run a dual bass system yet do not present this sound character, so it is something else in the MA speaker design, cabinet or otherwise.

One thing i noted some time before but can mention again, both the Tannoy Definitions and the Axiom speakers utilize a wedge shaped cabinet design. Tannoy starting selling this speaker in 1992 and came up with the similar design as Axiom for reducing internal standing waves and resonance. I would say the design idea is rather effective from what i've heard especially in the bass area of other speakers vs. these two brands. Those MA GR60s created some rattles in my basement where no rattle had yet been discovered. It was minor but noticeable and irritating. The Tannoys and the Axioms never produced this effect.
I tried the same listening test in our large main room. The GR60s still had that long uncontrolled bass which added a reverberation in the hardwood floor almost as if i needed to weigh down the speaker.
This character sound is what really sold me on the idea that i wasn't too keen on Monitor Audio. This ultra warm low end might please those who are looking for heavy bass (without having to bump the bass knob or buy a separate sub) as the remaining character sound of the MA was excellent.

Last edited by chesseroo; 07/10/06 02:02 PM.