My projector (panny 900) has component, HDMI, Coax and S Video inputs. I suspect that it is no different than any other projector on the market.

You hook it up just like you would you TV, with the exception of sound.

When you throw an external VP into the mix, the VP then becomes the video hub and switching device. All video sources are run into the VP and your output goes to your display device (or devices). Depending on the VP, the output may be HDMI, DVI, Component, S Video, or other. Most are HDMI and / or DVI. Some VP’s also perform audio switching as well as video. By going with a VP that has audio switching, the lip sync issues are lessoned. VP’s tend to take a tad longer to process the video stream than an AVR or DVD player.

So say you’re an A/V junky with no kids or bills and have a HD Cable box or satellite receiver, a SDI modified DVD player, a HD-DVD player, a Blue Ray player, a VCR, a universal player for music, and a laser disk player. You input all those devises into the VP with all connection options available to you. You would then run each device through a bunch of tests to find out which one of their outputs looks best. After that you calibrate the VP just like you would your TV with each input to however the image looks best to you. (this is assuming that you already calibrated your display device). In addition to these settings, you select the aspect ratio that you want for each device and if it is to be scaled / converted to 480P, 720P, 1080i or 1080P. Now depending on the VP’s functionality and number of assigned memories, you name each input and the calibration setting(s), aspect ratios and resolution for each input. The VP does all the thinking from then on. When you pop in a DVD the machine knows which input to select and remembers the calibration settings. You get tired of the DVD and want to watch a VCR tape, the machine switches inputs and calibrations.

Clear as mud?