I'm getting a bit confused. It is a "recently built" house which he is living in now, right ? So, other than "they don't make 'em like they used to" it's just a house, right ?

Is there any reason why he doesn't want to just fish wires through the walls ? I know metal studs make this much more exciting but it *is* low voltage after all...

Having said all that, I guess we're not talking state of the art HT here if the TV is over the fireplace.

I would be looking at wireless speakers which could be used out on the patio or something later, probably something where the transmitter took speaker-level inputs for simplicity, and not sweat the details too much.

Alternatively, (a) Panasonic, I think, made a nice little wireless HT system which is probably being cleared out now, and (b) something like the X10 SoundPower would let him buy "real" surrounds now and use them wirelessly. It includes a power amp on the receiving end so you just plug in regular speakers, but that assumes you can run a cable between the surrounds.

Are you pretty sure "buddy" has AC outlets in the right place to power the speakers ?

If you want a smile, a guy I knew some years ago decided wireless speakers were the way to go. He spent a couple of months picking the right brand and getting the best price, brought them home...

... and realized he didn't have AC power in the right place either. Ended up paying an electrician to pull wires to the right places SO HE COULD PLUG IN HIS WIRELESS SPEAKERS.

Life is funny some times.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8