Quote:

I'm curious if you read this article by Alan on How Speakers Radiate Sound: Why Wall Units are the Enemy.

Oh, yeah.. I'm fully aware of the evils of cabinet-izing your speakers. The Audio Gods are surely frowning upon me right now... Unfortunately, wifey went unhinged when I proposed a more open cabinet setup like below.

Quote:

I hung a 58" Panny (the 600U) on the wall last month and I am thrilled with it.

I would (and have) wholeheartedly recommend the Panasonic plasmas. Like Pioneer, they excellent PQ. However, Pioneer's shiny black sets didn't seem worth the extra couple $1000 to me for what you get with Panasonic.

Quote:

I'd also worry a little bit about your other compenents in that AV rack. I know a few audiophile buddies are very picky about extraneous vibration in gear rack, and I wonder how much reverberation you'll get in the AV cabinet during bass heavy music from the M60's?

Hopefully, sending most of the LFE to the sub will help with some of that. That, and I tend not to crank up the volume too high (we'll see if that still applies once I get the Axioms).

Quote:

Yeah, my TV has the optical out as well, but it only sends audio from digital stations over it, so I would still need an another cable for the analog stations...

Good to know. Luckily, I don't watch any of the analog channels, either.

Quote:

Wow....nice woodwork. Is that bird's eye maple?

Close. It's actually "poor-man's maple" (a.k.a. birch), stained to match our alder (a.k.a. "poor man's cherry") furniture. Maybe if I wasn't such a technology geek, I wouldn't be so poor. Truthfully, the photos don't do the woodwork justice. For some reason, it looks really blotchy in the photos, and that isn't really the case in real life.

Anyhoo, I think I'm going to stick to the M60s, as they'll have a bit more breathing room than the 80s would. The sliding platform mentioned a few times sounds like a really good idea to keep in mind.

Luckily, we still have a nice, big room in the basement to be finished yet. Once that materializes, I may move the M60s downstairs so they can be out in the open where they belong. Or, I may just buy some M80s.