I still don't fully understand how a HTPC works, but the more I hear/read the more interested I am.

Thoughts

1) I recently read some tests in which PC based video cards were blowing stand alone DVD player performance away. (FAR away) That included players such as the Denon DVD-3910!

2) TivoHD...$899 + $12.95/month???? There's got to be a better/cheape way to record/playback HD.

3) Convienence...having my entire music collection ripped at the highest possible bit rate MP3's and stored on disk is hard to pass up. If I want some critical listening, I can always pull the disc off the shelf.

Questions:

1) Amplification? We all go out and buy recievers with 120 watts per channel, stand alone amps, etc...what gives? What's driving the 5.1 (or 7.1) channels in a HTPC?

2) DVR capabilities...Tivo is fantastic. How's DVR work in a HTPC? How would I hook up the PC to my cable? How does programming show to record in the future work?

3) HDTV...I've heard that you cannot record HD. True?

4) HD-DVD/Blu-Ray...Assuming down the road you can buy ad HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray DVD drive. If I throw that into the HTPC...is the DVI out of the video card going to be able to pass the full 1080p signal? Are cards going to need to incorporate HDMI to make HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback on a HTPC possible?

5) How important is processor speed? RAM? Dual Core? A lot of money can be saved here if the machine doesn't need to be a monster.

6) (this one is specific to my Sony KDS-60A2000 tv) The TV has an HDMI input and a VGA input, but no DVI. Can I buy a DVI to HDMI cable and run that between the PC and TV?

I'm sure I'll think of more...