I think that there is some technical hurdle to doing that, but I can't recall what it is.

By my measure, 3 years of HDTiVo is $1100, with the box at $799 and a $299 contract. But that's just me being argumentative.

Ah, here's another downside to the HDTiVo: cable only, no satellite.

Edit #3: This is from Microsoft's FAQ on XP Media Center Edition:

Does Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 support HDTV? What do I need?

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 is the first PC operating system to support playback, pause, and recording of free, over-the-air high-definition television (HDTV) right out of the box. Just connect the Media Center PC that has HDTV support to an antenna that can receive a high-definition TV signal, and get up to six times the image quality of standard TV. Media Center PCs with HDTV support are available through various manufacturers and retailers.

Can I receive HDTV over cable or satellite?

Not at the current time. You can use standard connectors such as S-Video to connect your cable box or satellite receiver to your Media Center PC, and then watch and record high-definition TV programs. However, the HDTV programs will be in standard TV format. In order to watch and record a true HDTV signal using Media Center, you must have access to local channels broadcast over the air and receive these freely available signals with an HDTV antenna. For more information on HDTV antennas and over-the-air reception, please visit the CEA Antennaweb.org Web site.

Last edited by kcarlile; 09/26/06 11:34 PM.