Quote:

Lewis, welcome. Allowing at least 3" of "breathing room" for rear ports is generally considered to be adequate so that no bad effect results. Although that shouldn't be a problem with what you propose, the "behind a fabric frame" part may be troublesome. Either the fabric or frame itself may absorb/diffract/reflect sound.

Hi John - thanks for the feedback. I am thinking of making the fabric frames out of Guilford of Maine cloth and having the speakers quite close to the fabric itself so I don't think there will be a problem there. That stuff is rated acoustically transparent. Also, the frame will be nothing more than a skeleton to stretch the cloth over - sort of like the false walls people are using to hide all the speakers in dedicated home theaters. Mind you, I am not sure if all those false walls are being done with front only ported speakers....

I have some renders done up of my room in SketchUp but I can't seem to figure out how to post them here on the forum. I think I need to find a place to load the pics before I can attach a "link" to them? It would become clearer if I could show you a pic of what I am trying to do.

Thanks again.

Lewis