Quote:

I agree with John about allowing at least 3", I would go more, to let the low bass filter into the room. Not sure I like your idea of having them back up to mineral wool, this may absorb to much of what you DO want to filter into the room. I have Owens Corning 703 cut into superchunks from floor to ceiling. My Axiom m60's are placed between them and the screen, but not in front of the bass traps. I also am not sure why you want to cover up your mains? Depending on the fabric you use, it WILL possibly affect your various low/high/mid frequencies.

Hmmm......I hear you on the mineral wool being in the line of fire of the rear ports. The superchunks are in fact what I am planning for the corners in the front - whether I use mineral wool or OC703 is a function of what I can obtain - if the coefficients are similar....

The reason for hiding the mains (and the center speaker too for that matter) is purely a function of taste and wanting a "clean" appearance in the front of the theater when entering the room. However, that's the beauty of sketchup - costs nothing to explore other options !

I am planning on having at least some treatment on the front wall around the screen as well (the screen will be on the wall itself) so there will be some treatments behind the speakers regardless.