Quote:

Hey Lewis,

Yes, the 703 and mineral wool should perform the same for superchunks. I'm guessing you'll be able to easily remove the coverings if needed once in place? In the 1.5 yrs I've had my m60's, I'm constantly tweaking the position from the side/back walls and "toe in" to get it just perfect.

In regards to treating the front wall, I would do some more reading on that subject. Most of the experts, from Realtraps, GIK, etc..., will tell you there is no real benefit for treating the front wall.

I seem to keep finding arguements from both camps on the front wall treatment, and have come to the conclusion that it's really only required when there's a false wall and the screen is on the false wall, creating a cavity behind that can cause comb filtering effects with the sound reflecting from the original wall and back of the screen - sort of like a resonant cavity of sorts. I don't really have that construction in my plans, but there are a couple of "mostly GOM fabic" columns and a piece across the top between them, so I can treat or untreat even after the room is finished. Whatever I do, the screen is going hard up against the front wall to maximize the viewing distance. I'm still trading off a little as my room is 18' in depth and based on all the calcs that I have done, I really should have 20' for 2 rows to prevent the back row from going up against the back wall, but hey, life is all about comprimises anyway.

I just learned all about photo-hosting and I am going to attempt to post a thread with my Sketchup model of my ht design. You will be able to clearly see the issue with the placement of the floorstanding speakers behind the left/right columns on each side of the stage then. I'm hell bent on hiding these front speakers and can almost pull it off as you will see, but I always like to leave my options open so I will keep playing with the geometry.

I had a look at your theater pics and like your set-up. The constrast of the speakers and other colors in the room really makes them pop and lends an air of "seriousness" to your set-up It looks like you are running a 2.35 screen - I'll be back to badger you with some questions on that in the near future as that's the way I want to go as well. My HT is going to be strictly movies - no HDTV.

Keep an eye out for my SketchUp picture thread attempt here shortly and let me know your thoughts after you see them.

Thanks again for your insight and advice.

Lewis