I differ a little from others (and by the way, hello everyone...been awhile). As Ajax has mentioned, listen to a "good" set up before you make any decisions. I would also look around at the other internet direct speakers out there so that you have an informed decision on whatever you go with. Nothing worse then getting something and then only wishing that you went another direction.

As for me, and others here, I have three systems that cover two of the internet direct companies and love them both, yet both sound very different. You need to ask yourself what type of sound you like and try to pick that out when you do go for your listening "interviews". I then bought just mains to make sure I liked what I got. Nothing worse then getting half a dozen boxes in and then figuring out that you have to return a half dozen boxes. Many of the companies will honor the "package deal" if you go back to them before or after and expalin the issue to them.

Anyway, you have a great budget to play with. Once you find which amp to go with, check audiogon.com to see if you can get a great deal. 99% of the time you will find the item you are looking for there. With the saving you realize in the pre/pro you can have more to invest in speakers, wire, seating, DVD/CD player...ect, ect.

Half the fun is in doing the homework and set up as the satifaction of hearing great sounds was because of your hard work.

Good luck,
Craig