Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Need some help in making a decision related to speakers and receiver to get. The room that I am planning to install the speakers in is the family room, with vaulted ceilings. The room dimensions are: 20x15, with the highest point in the room 30' while the lowest is 24'. The room in question also has back stairs and opens up to kitchen/breakfast nook and it is seperated by half wall. I had sent a message to Axiom and Jean-Claude (Thanks Jean-Claude) responded with Epic 60/350 combination for the room.

My usage is 40 (music)/ 60 (movies) and think that the system will do a wonderful job. My concern is that the original budget I had was $5000, (($2500 for both speakers and receiver) and (50-60" TV + stand + upconverting dvd $2500)) and with the Epic60 combinations I have blown that budget. I might be able to swing additional 500 but would prefer not to do that if possible. Would like to get the owners/audioholics opinion on the following changes to the original recommendation:

1) Are the factory outlet speakers identical to the epic 60. Can I purchase individual speakers from factory outlet and get epic 60 combination (1-vp100, 1-ep350, 2-m60 and 2-qs8 = epic60-350). Which will save about $200.

2) What do I lose in terms of sound quality if I replace the m60 with m50, which saves another $200.

3) Any recommendation for receiver, the ones mentioned in the forum are a bit expensive (Denon 2807, HK 7xx series, Yamaha RXV-2xxx, Sherwood ???, Pioneer Elite 80?), they all run about a grand. I think I would be better off spending the money on speakers instead of the high end receivers.

4) I am also in the market for a big screen tv. Leaning towards the JVC HD-ILA or the Sony A2000 series (50 to 60" size range)? My seating arrangement is about 12 or so feet from the likely location of the tv. Would like to get a Panasonic Plasma (9UK from Visual Apex), but concerned about the amount of power used by the plasma (535watts according to the manual)
or am I being a bit to anal related to electrical usage?

Sorry for the long message. Any help/advice/opinion is appericiated.

Thanks
-Deepak

-Deepak