Quote:

Anybody ever tested the resistance of solder in a wire splice? I have, the wire went from .1 ohms to .11, not a big difference, so solder away if you want to.

In the 'data' world, braiding the wire together so that it retains as much symetrical contact as possible is the text book method. The sodder becomes more of an anchor and less required for the conductivity. Alternatively twisting the two wires together at a 90 degree angle to the wire run is considered a bad choice unless you are striclty just wanting electricity or you are hot wiring a car and don't have the time to do a nicer job.

I have no idea how much effect this really has on the travel of audio wavelengths or resistance. Could be just old school textbook rhetoric. I suppose I could test the resistance part......but I'm not gunna.

I can say though that I have seen circuits go down just because the tech didn't squeeze his crymper hard enough on a crymp style connector. The two wires were still definately touching but the difference in how well and how much they contacted was enough that the signal degraded beyond a useful level.

MOre useless facts....See sig.

Last edited by Murph; 01/17/07 05:35 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.