I understand the nature of pressure waves as well as the next hobbyist/layman, I suppose. I was simply trying to introduce an example of the variables that might apply to different subwoofer designs. And instantaneous is a little loose in this context. Regardless of how accurately the human ear can discern sound below 60Hz, it is still sound and as such still travels at 760mph at sea level, give or take. So the effect of the soundwave hitting a rear and/or wall then propagating throughout the room from a bottom-fire woofer will have different consequences than a than the effects from a front firing sub. Delay is delay. I suppose I could have prefaced my earlier comment by stating the obvious about the nature of soundwaves but most of us here understand the basics. I certainly wasn't trying to describe a pressure wave as linear.

If you use your own description and apply it to a front and a bottom firing sub you can see what I mean about the propagation of the waves from the cone. It obviously is not a simple problem since there is always much discussion such as this on these forums. The effects of resonance, room size, subwoofer design, cone size, etc. obviously play into this because if not you would be able to toss a sub in a corner and call it a day.

P.S. Dammit, Mark! You cooked this broth, you need to get back in here and eat it!

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti