John, OK, I sometimes don’t write things out correctly…. here’s what I am trying to say:

Axioms own ratings for the M80’s is : SPL in room 1 watt / 1 meter is 95 db. +/- 3db - 9db in room.

Now for most folks, a 3db difference is fairly audible. I know I can hear it. When we’re talking 9db any one can hear it. So what this means is that if 1 watt produces 95db, then roughly, at 1Mhz, 10 watts should produce 105db, and 100 watts will produce 115db and so on. (I think my math is correct, maybe some of the gurus here can correct it if it’s wrong.)

Anyway, from Axioms own graph:

We can see that beginning at 60hz and down the M80’s are already off by 3db, with another dip of 3db or so at 120-150db or so. These dips in response are very audible. Hence I find myself kicking up the bass on the 990 processor a bit. In order to make up for those 3db or greater losses an amp needs to dig deep into it’s power reserves in order to equal the same volume, spl, for a specific hz level that is lower than the others. Or in my case add an EP 600 for the lower end, especially at lower, normal listening levels the M80’s just don’t cut it on their own.

This is what I think is happening with the Outlaws, as well as many amps I would assume. They reach a point at which those power reserves kick in and they open up more. Get warmer so to speak. Unfortunately even this top end Outlaw doesn’t open up those lower end frequencies until it is starting to crank out some serious power. It would be nice if it would kick in a little sooner. That’s why I say it’s not a “volume” thing as opposed to a “quality” thing. I don’t need to blow the windows out of my house, but I would like the amp to produce the same openness and warmth across ALL listening levels.

And no, it’s not a “My amp has 10 billion watts” thing, it’s the ability of an amp to be able to draw deep into it’s power reserves in order to make up for dips in frequency that a speaker has trouble with. Again, I realize that 100 watts into just about anything is insanely loud. But better amps have the ability to be able to dig deep enough to provide the power needed to fill in the gaps without straining. Normal off the shelf AV receivers generally don’t have this ability. The Outlaws are just barely into this range. At least for my ears. I would bet that some where around this board some one at some point has put a Mac , Classe, or Bryston on a pair of M80’s and thought it improved the sound. However maybe not, cause if you have that kind of $$ you probably are going to take a step up in speakers. Although I have said it before. I have a pair of B&W 704’s and my M80’s are every bit as good, if not better.