Most of the higher end portables are ear canal phones that is just the way it is. There are high end phones that can be powered buy a portable device but not to practical to say the least.

If you were to throw out a budget and the style of music you listen to plus what you are going to power them with we could make a solid recommendation for you.

I really like the Grado brand of headphone. I have the SR 60s and the 325is. They sound most like my M80s out of all the headphones I have had. Some people have complained about a comfort issue with these phones but I have no such problems. I also like the AKG K501s that I have. I use them with Jazz and a little Classical that I own. I did have some AKG K81DJs that were pretty good and inexpensive portables.

On to the portables. I have a few sets of these too. They are iGrados, Koss KSC 75s, Ultimate ears SuperFi3s and Altec Lansing im 716s. All of these phones sound good to me. I use them in different ways. The iGrado and Koss I use while taking walks or riding my bike. They allow you to hear outside noises like cars, dogs ECT. The ear canal phones I use while working outside. They are really good at drowning out outside noises like lawnmowers and other power equipment.

So you see there are different headphones for different purposes. It would be tough to give you a recommendation without a bit more input from you.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud