Yes it can; Mary! Very dangerous indeed!

While the MS-1s have been replaced by the MS2i for the rock side of things, the HD600s will probably be around for classical for a good long, long time!

Yeah; I did a study to see which phones would likely be my best bet for the bigger classical pieces, and just as importantly portray my favorite instrument, the pipe organ, as well as practical to complement my MS2i, with a bass response similar to the MS2i in presentation but yet go deeper to follow the longer pipes, and I found from taking lots of notes and wearing the heck out of the search function that HD600 would most likely best fit my style of listening.

That was cool.

What was cooler yet was when I was talking to a guy from Kansas about a couple of fellas I had known very well up in Michigan from the U of M school of music, one a Professor, the other a student who has since gotten his Doctorate, from back in my choir days. Turns out he knew them too, even mentioned the name of their dog!

And this guy happens to be Vice President of his company; a major pipe organ manufacturer! Really! I looked up his companies web site!! His primary job is being the "tuner" of the instruments and spends most of his life bopping around the country helping to design and setting up these organs in some pretty elaborate churches and cathedrals.

Another part of his job is making CDs of the recitals in which these organs are used when they are first dedicated. He is the most logical person to be involved in the CDs since he is by far the most familiar with the sound that these instruments are intended to produce.

To make a long story short; he tried a whole slew of headphone designs and models and eventually decided on HD600s to monitor the recitals and the mastering of the CDs.

...his recording engineer uses similar sounding HD580s.

When he decided that HD600s were the best bet, he bought two pairs; one for home and one for on the job. Turned out he didn't use the second set that much since he normally brought his "work" pair home.

Timing is everything...the cans were for sale last fall! Although we agreed that I would buy them last October, I had to wait for the Christmas damages to my wallet to heal.

But since we had a few mutual friends, he even threw in a few CDs that were mastered with these exact same cans that just for fun he took along on the trips he made from October until I took delivery in February! Yeah! These very same cans were used in the making of a nice batch of organ CDs!! He also tossed in some publications documenting the assembly and history of the churches and the organs used in the making of these CDs!

Yup; real published CDs! Currently sold on the Raven label, as well as some CD masters not yet edited into final form yet. Entirely too cool!!

So all in all; I have a pair of phones which have somewhat of a historical, as well as personal significance, as well as being cans that sound really good to my ears within my current system!

Nope! These HD600s ain't goin' nowhere! They got themselves a permanent home!!

.....now if I can just figure out a way to keep my heavier-than-MS-1 MS2i from falling off when I'm trying to type, I can wear them more often too!

As much as I really love my aluminum MS2i, a move up to those lighter weight wooden MS-Pros are starting to look.....

......arrrrgh!
Rich.