Hi Rodney, and welcome.

Basically, I'm just going to echo what John said by sharing my experience. I had M22s paired with a subwoofer in a similarly sized room, and sat about 8 feet from them. They were certainly adequate, but I felt something was missing in the upper bass/lower midrange area (in all likelihood due to less than optimal speaker placement or incorrect receiver settings on my part, and YMMV). I exchanged the M22s for M60s, and was completely satisfied with the results. They were certainly not "too big for the room."

I think one common error folks make, or are forced to make due to physical limitations of their rooms (my situation ), is not giving their speakers enough space. Speakers should be influenced, as little as possible, by nearby surfaces, because the reflected sound from nearby surfaces can negatively affect the sound of the speakers. If you'll look at BrotherBob's disgustingly gorgeous room below (OK, so I'm very jealous ), you'll see his M80s have a good deal of space around them.

Ideally, bookshelf speakers will not be placed on bookshelves, but rather on stands in an open area. You'll note that the top plate of most speaker stands is actually smaller than the footprint of the speaker itself, thus eliminating any possibility of reflections from the top plate.

I agree completely with John's suggestion for surround placement. The optimal placement for the QS surrounds, IMHO, is slightly to the rear of the seating area, so place the right surround in the space between the windows as close to the rear-most window as you deem aesthetically acceptable, and from 1 to 3 feet above your ears. And, place the left surround directly across the room from it at the same height.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton