Did you check out how busy the board was ? That's what I find frightening...

The normal thing to do with a $500 flashlight seems to be to put it in a drawer between the $400 flashlight and the $600 flashlight.

The answer to "why collect flashlights" is pretty simple -- other than the helpful "Buy them both" advice from the other CPF board members. Flashlight modifications have evolved to both an insane and a highly useful level, and the resulting "insane" levels of performance are now showing up on a regular basis in commercial lights as well.

Your typical 2 or 3 "D" cell flashlight (say a Maglight) might consume a couple of watts and put out 20 lumens on fresh batteries. With a few mods, you can get 200-800 lumens from the same light which is REALLY HONKIN' BRIGHT and surprisingly useful when you live out in the sticks.

Of course you can go to Costco and pick up a 2000+ lumen HID spotlight for not very much money.

What caught my eye, though, was some of the really "out of control" modifications, such as tacking a 747 landing light on the front of a Maglight for roughly 12,000 lumens.

I guess I shouldn't post my sig line from CPF...

Mag85, MagCharger60, Mag 2D WA1111, Mag2D ROP low, Mag 3D w. 5x1/2D + MagNumStar 4cell (infinitely bright, infinitely tiny beam), MagLED 2D, MagLED 4D, SureFire Z2, Streamlight Scorpion LED, Fenix L1D-CE, CPF Safe light.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/25/07 12:09 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8