Hi all, MoJo is correct in that the manual states how to bi-amp and mentions nothing of external x-overs. The reason they include the dual binding posts is because of the speakers abilty to be bi-amped in this manner without any external devices.

When you bi-amp you are still ONLY running 300wpc (in this case) into each section of the speaker, i.e. tweeters, mids, woofers. You are in effect increasing power overall but not in each section as it were. 300 wpc into the bass section is 300wpc not 600.

Next point, speakers that are rated at 400wpc are in no way limited to this size of amp, in fact most companies will tell you the more power the better. One is far more likely to damage speakers by trying to drive them too loud with a small or under rated amp and clipping the amp which really frys speakers in a hurry. This is why I cringe when I see folks on here telling people"yeah that receiver will drive those 80's no problem" this is ill advised for MOST Avr's. I agree there are exceptions but they are limted. There is currently posts here dealing with this exact problem and is forever an ongoing issue with the uninitiated.
NOTE: if your speakers make popping, rattling, or are making distorted type noises, they are telling you...hey dummy! turn that amp down I'm hurting over here. Unless you are deaf its unmistakeable when a speakers is in severe ditsress. However, soft clip may be much harder to detect to the untrained ear and this is why good amps have protection circuitry, to protect your speakers!

Randy, I would go ahead and try bi-amping, its not possible to hurt your speakers in this manner and as I said last week I think it will really boost your output, just try one speaker even and see what happens, you have the amps in your cage already. Good luck.

These are all my opinions only of course and are from what I have learned in 31 years of serious audio gear playing.

Regards, Chris

Last edited by KlipschGuy; 04/14/07 02:06 PM.

Emotiva DMC1, MPS-1 ,M80v2 ,Klipsch RC64,Mirage Omni260 surrounds,Paradigm PW2200 sub