Quote:

My wife and I like to watch TV in bed. (I know, I know, but we’ve been married for a while!) Our viewing is mostly network shows in HD from satellite and DVD’s once or twice a week. We prefer the sound level to be low-medium, as best I can characterize it. We’re not that big into action movies. I wouldn’t call myself an audiophile, but I enjoy music, and like the sound to have some presence.

My suggestion would be to defer to your better half if you want to do something other than watch TV. Besides I think she is on the right track with the W series. With the room being around 2000cf and in light of your preferences, you can go with the smaller oriented speakers/subs and still get great sound.

Quote:

1. Front left and right speakers.

The doorway to the closet makes positioning of the front right speaker difficult. The wall to the right of the door (perpendicular to the TV wall) is pre-wired with speaker terminals.

The solution with the best Wife Acceptance Factor is W22 in wall/on wall speakers. They would look best and not block the closet doorway. I’m doubtful however, that the sound would be acceptable, because the sound would be directed across the front of the TV and not towards the bed. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

An alternative would be M22 bookshelf speakers on wall mounts so they could be turned towards the bed. The wife finds this an acceptable idea.

A third alternative is floorstanding M60’s. I kinda like this idea myself, but I wonder if it would be overkill in the room. One thought is that with M60’s perhaps I could get away without a subwoofer.

This time WAF gets it right. My suggestion would be to consider w22s and a w100 in the wall either side and above the tv. I assume the bed is facing that wall in the picture. Those speakers have great off axis response and I wouldn't be worried that your bed has a slight offset to the TV. I heard them recently at a design show and was very impressed with their sonic qualities. I had expected a more "veiled" sound compared to the m22s and vp100 but that wasn't the case. The sounded very clean and airy, much like the box designs. M60s would sound better of course but they would clutter up your small bedroom and sooner or later one would be knocked over positioned close to those doorways.

Quote:

2. Center speaker.

The TV will be a 60" or 70" rear projection model. I’m going to have a custom stand made to raise it fairly high from the floor for comfortable viewing from the bed. I’m thinking that the stand could be designed to place a VP100 centre speaker on a shelf below the TV. Alternatively I could mount a VP100 above the TV, or go with an in wall/on wall W100.

Also, I’m wondering if it would make sense to go with a VP150, or is that overkill?

The W100 would work really well though I would go with a W150 if you have the room. The box versions would do the job alright but clutter your limited space IMO.

Quote:

3. Left and Right surround speakers.

First of all, should I go with QS4’s or QS8’s? Everyone seems to love QS8’s but I haven’t seen much on QS4’s. Cost is a factor here.

Secondly, the placement of the bedroom entrance door (usually open) blocks the sound from the behind the door where the speaker terminals are located. Should I mount the surround speakers on the wall above the door, or alternatively at a lower level on the rear wall one on each side of the bed?

QS4s on the rear wall above the bed makes the most sense. Those speakers are very forgiving about placement and they would look better there.

Quote:

4. Subwoofer.

Cost is definitely a factor here. I think I would want to go with the EP 125 or EP175, or if I choose M60’s can I omit the subwoofer entirely?

Because of your budget and size of room, either the 125 or 175 would give you plenty of low bass reinforcement. You could always spend for more performance but for a bedroom either sub should be fine.

John