Curtis,
I would agree that reviews can still provide some information of use but i disagree that the amp/receiver used is going to affect the sound of the Axiom speakers to the point of making them laid back as opposed to bright. This poster even mentions he tried using different equipment. I personally have not noticed any significant difference in testing out my Axioms in-house with a Denon vs. my Onkyo vs. a Robertson amp. The speakers were still bright.
Chances are the listening material he used for the auditioning is the ultimate cause of an overdone high end. Short of using an equalizer of sorts, this will not change.

WARNING: short rant on the S&V poster is now to follow

The ensuing discussion on speaker break-in again leads me to raise my eyebrows with a sense of derision.The poster describes how a cymbal sounded with the Axiom speakers as being 'unnatural' and of course, the fall back evidence being he has some kind of musical background in which he 'knows' how a cymbal is supposed to sound. Well I also had a cousin who used to bang away on his drums and i never found a cymbal to sound anything but harsh and sharp to the ears so that IS what i would expect and certainly is what the Axioms reproduce.
I'm amazed at how some people hear a well designed speaker for the first time and actually complain b/c it is not a rolled off, over emphasized sound.
If a consumer does not like the bright, detailed Axiom sound, why keep questioning it? Return the speaker and keep shopping.
There are plenty of other speaker brands out there that one may find more appealing.
Axiom also has 3 other models that utilize a different tweeter. Many of the reviews i've come across where people have posted similar queries such as this S&V fellow have not heard the more laid back Axiom offerings. Judgement is often passed before enough information is really gathered to make an assessment.

END RANT

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."