I've been kicking this one around for quite some time and still can't come to a conclusion. My CD player died about a year ago and I haven't replaced it yet instead using my Panny DVD-CP72 for both cd's and dvd's. The Panny does DVD-A as well but not SACD. Audio is a big thing for me and I spend much more time listening to music than watching movies. I've been debating as to whether to buy a new CD player for redbook cd's (of which I have many) or go with a universal DVD player as I do enjoy DVD-A and would like to expand into SACD as well, realizing that these formats have not had great commercial success, unfortunately.

Can I get great audio (relatively speaking with my budget) from CD's from a universal player or should I look to get a decent CD player, such as the Rega Apollo or Rotel 1072? I'm pretty sure that the Panny is not the greatest for audio even though it was highly acclaimed for it's video in it's day (sister of the RP-82 in a multi-disc format).

I'm thinking I could afford to go about a thousand dollars towards this effort (of course, less is better ).

Thanks for any and all advise.