>>I just want to maximize my investment in my Axioms, especially the M80v2's which are my mains, and I feel that my Panisonic DVD-CP72 may not be the best source equipment for audio. It's all very confusing.

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere before in this thread, but IMO the main reason for confusion is that "it all depends how you hooks it up".

If you are using analog connections from player to receiver / pre-pro (ie if you are using the DACs and analog stuff in the player) then I think many here will agree that better players can give better sound.

If you are using a digital connection from the player (CD's PCM audio can go over the coax or optical cable just like DVD DD/DTS audio), then it gets a lot harder to explain how one player can sound much better than another. Jitter is sometimes raised as a factor but even that is hard to believe since everything gets retimed in the receiver/pre-pro.

SACD and DVD-A are the only real challenges, since you either need to use analog outputs or you need a relatively high end player & receiver/pp to get encrypted digital outputs that your receiver can accept.

I would vote for making sure you have a digital connection for CD audio, stay with the player you have for a while, and save for speakers.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8