Interesting post, Peter. I've had some of the same thoughts.

I think I've reconciled it on a number of levels, however.

First and foremost, Axiom is a R&D company. They happen to use their R&D expertise primarily in loudspeakers, but the "manufacturing" part is - to me - a smaller part of the equation.

To build on and complement their existing expertise, they added a significant new resource in hiring amplifier designer Tom Cumberland. This synergy resulted in the now highly-acclaimed (and progressively designed) EP400, EP500 and EP600. Axiom was formerly not a major player in subwoofers, but by delivering great performance at what has become a middle-of-the-pack price point, the tradition of excellence and value was perpetuated.

Having learned from the EP DSP design process and with an ongoing desire to further expand the business in the context of existing product lines, we now see the new amp.

I don't really remember Alan or Ian leading the "amps don't matter" parade. Lots of individuals on the forum have stated - amid the usual controversy - that "a watt is a watt is a watt as long as it is performing within its design parameters and appropriately quantified". For a lot of people, 50 watts is simply enough - 100% of the time. For MANY others, it's not. Alan has repeatedly recommended specific brands relative to enjoying the full benefits of the M80's; he has not shied away from saying that equipment from Denon, HK and Sherwood-Newcastle is preferable in many applications to other brands.

To me personally, Axiom 1400-8 is an "expensive" piece of gear. But there ARE plenty of people buying Arcam, B&K, McIntosh, etc. that cost that much or more. I think it is highly likely that - even though it is out of financial reach for some of us - the Axiom amp will present an excellent value within its target market. To many avid listeners, spending the money for a pair of M80's is also out of the question.

The amp certainly represents an innovative design, and it seems pretty consistent with the expertise and strategy of the company to me. I certainly wish Axiom much success, but that success will clearly not ride solely upon the decisions of only the existing loudspeaker customer base.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem