I had V for Vendetta on HD DVD (until I gave it to my sister), and it definitely seemed better than DVD on my TV. I would say that in most setups it would be hard to tell a difference, though. I'm surprised it wasn't a pronounced difference on a 50". The biggest advantage to HD has to be on front projectors, though. I plan to change to a front projector (at least, make it my main movie/game system) in around 4 years. Maybe sooner. It depends on how fast I can save up for the basement overhaul. I may want to design the room around front projection from the start. But yeah, with a 60" TV I definitely prefer to have HD versions of movies, but I think it will be that much cooler on something over 100".

I know I don't want downloadable movies to overtake discs. Not at this point. They'll cheap out on bitrate, on special features, and they'll charge just as much as a disc, despite only paying for bandwidth, not packaging. Plus, you won't be able to let your friends borrow your movies. So while I'm not a fan of the format war, I'd much rather take my chances with a disc than hold out for downloads.