I just came back from auditioning the M3s and M22s!!!
despite the similar freq response graphs, i found the M3s had more bass than the M22s, quite a lot more..this could be due to the midbass hump in the M3s, or the dealer said it could be because the M22s are not that broken in compared to the M3s.
on the whole, i found the M22s have a much more natural and smooth sound compared to hte M3s whose bass sounded overemphasized on some songs...on the other hand, the M22s seem to lack that bit of punch in the bass...the dealer said the more powerful the amplifier used, the tighter and punchier the bass..
the dealer was unable to hook up a subwoofer for my listening tests...i will be using the bookshelves with a subwoofer at home. therefore, i was unable to determine if the M22s would blend seamlessly enough with a sub.
i will go back again with some of my own CDs...i actually listen to heavy metal. the dealer said that the axioms are not suited for such music ( rock, heavy metal)
i really liked the midrange and treble of the M22s. if only the bass was slighly deeper.