Hi JohnK: You're right; they're not crappy. It's just after two days of trying to set up the sub I'm getting very frustrated, and letting that frustration get the better of me. I've read many posts and articles that gives you the impression that you just hook up the sub, and away you go to Musicland. The cheap little booklet that comes with the sub doesn't even talk about stereo on its own, so I've wired the sub according to the picture which best depicts my situation. I've also tried the various combos suggested by members of this forum - thank you all for making suggestions that may be a loosing battle. Even Polk's Tech support hasn't responded yet.

John, your post sums up everything very nicely. My problem is that the music sounds considerably better with the subs off. The M60's are sweet, while the sub produces a distorted muddy sound. The peculiar thing is if I plug the pre-amp to the sub LFE I/P, I get the full spectrum of music and it doesn't sound that bad, but the sound is very poor compared to just the M60's playing by themselves. And I've tried every combo of amp, speaker, and sub. My speaker placement is wrong (house being renovated, and my bedroom has become a dumping grounds for anything you can think off). But I would still expect good sounding music. And it seems when I change the CD I'm listening to, I have to adjust the sub's volume.

Eric G.