Hi sushi, all,

Fascinating discussion, especially the screen material shots. From an old darkroom film guy, the silver screen image is lousy. All the detail in the pistols and stamens is burned out.

The best balance and detail is the gray, although the white is quite good.

I haven't seen enough of LCos yet to comment, and I don't think I'll make it to CEDIA this year.

CRT is still the reference because it's had 75 years to mature.

All points made are accurate (having a dark room being the key).

Spiff--of course we all want film-like resolution, but it will always be VIDEO, because the gradations of scale in bright to black and color with optical film projections are really quite spectacular compared to video. I was reminded of this seeing "Swimming Pool" the other night. A new print, beautifully projected. It is simply stunning visually. Don't know who the lighting and cinematographer were. I have never seen skin tones like those of the young actress by the pool (exept in real life, ha, ha).

By comparison, even professional DLP cinema has a kind of video luminosity that, while appealing, is quite different from optical film, and in my judgment, not as real. It's still enjoyable, however.

As to 720p and 1080i, yes, the difference is there but it isn't dramatic, and you have to look for it.

So, the goal is to find a front or rear-projection technology that most closely rivals the best film projection.

Regards to all,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)