Originally Posted By: nickbuol
[snip]
I find it highly unlikely that the announcement made by Warner had any impact on the bulk of the movie buying customer base out in the world. Most people who aren't addicts like us, didn't even know about it, let alone care about it. They go on with their days not knowing of such changes without any concern.

So this isn't really any "new news", just a different regurgitation of what has already been said, but with a different negative spin on it. Nothing against jakewash, just afterdawn...

Or it could be the other way around. Most people don't know a Bluray from HD DVD from DVD. But what they *heard/read* in the last two weeks or so is that "Bluray won"

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, that is what is being seen all across the headlines. So it's conceivable that people went and bought more Blurays. At work, I know of one person that went and bought a Bluray player because "I heard they won, so I pulled the trigger"

For the consumer, having one declared winner is probably better. I believe in competition, but not at the risk of slowing down the progress to HD content. Either format is fine by me in terms of quality (I own both format players.) At this point, it comes down who has a better marketing/maneuvering/dealmaking, and from the looks of it, Bluray did that better.

Hell, even Bill Gates was hedging in a recent interview.

Last edited by Hansang; 01/22/08 12:22 AM.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers