Hi sirquack and all,

This is sort of complicated but I may have to do a little edit of the video. I just checked my EP500 and it's set a the 8 o'clock position with my H/K sub output at 0 dB.

Now, a bit of background: During the development period of the EP500, I was sent and installed at least four different amplifiers in my EP500. Each had differences in the electronics and settings. In fact, I'm not sure which iteration of the EP500 amp is currently in my EP500! It's not the latest version, I know that.

When I made the video up at Axiom's listening room, I was going on memory of my own 500's volume setting, which I thought was around 9 o'clock. I know there was a period where it was set quite a bit higher, at about 11 o'clock, and that may have been with one of the earlier EP500 amps. I can't recall when I wrote and edited the latest version of the EP500 owner's manual, but it may require some revision.

I hope that explains the discrepancy.

Over the years I've found significant variation in line-level output voltages from one brand of component to another, even though there is supposed to be some standardization. I recall bench-testing an early CD changer (Sony) that had huge output voltage from its line output, so high that it overloaded the input stage of most receivers and amplifiers we connected it to and caused audible distortion.

My current Sony mega CD changers have perfectly normal output voltage on the line outputs so that may been a weird anomaly of early CD changers.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)