Rich, I had done quite a bit of research about this, so I'll give you a bit of an info dump.

First, the wireless bridge option:

I thought this was OK, but I wanted to get at a wired option if possible (more on wired below below):

These are the options (either wireless bridge or gaming adapter) I found that appeared to be the best (according to user reviews) Model/price/overall user rating on Newegg
WET54G / $90 / 68%
WAP54G / $70 / 82% / WPA security only
WGA54G / $70 / 80% / WEP security only

Both Amazon and Newegg offer descriptions and extensive user reviews. These user reviews are a significant source of details on problems encountered and solutions to them. Be aware that they generally support only a single type of security (WEP or WPA). Because of that, I had chosen the WAP54G. So

Something else to consider here is that a wireless bridge usually lets you plug in a single device. I didn't chase this to see if a switch could be added to the mix and allow me to plug in several devices to the switch.

Second, the hard wired connection:
In my Home Theater, long with the 3808, I have a DirecTv HR-20 DVR, a Wii and a soon to be purchased PS3 (which is my final choice as a media server), all of which can connect to a network.

The dependability of wired network gives me a more a better, more stable connection than wireless, so that's what I pursued. Running Cat5/Cat 6 wasn't an option I considered very long. Aggravating to do yourself, expensive to have done and what if you need a connection in another room after you were all done.

Long story short, I chose to use a powerline ethernet adapter approach connection. A couple of ethernet adapters (one plugged into your router and then into an outlet, the 2nd one plugged into an outlet in the room with the Home theater.) Covers from 2nd floor to basement using the home electrical system. You need 2 of the adapters to start with AND you can add more (PLE200) as needed with the flexibility to use them. I think the flexibility is important because new products will be made to include network capability.

There were a couple of choices, but I ended up choosing the Linksys PLK200 (a kit with 2 of them) because all of my other networking equipment is Linksys. Search on the model number at Newegg for more info. Also, I installed a nice software tool made by Linksys called "EasyLink Advisor" - it lets you see each device on your network (wired / wireless) and what it's IP address, MAC Address and status are. You can also print all of your network details, including settings & passwords, out to store/refer to. VERY cool.

The solution is a bit more expensive than a wireless bridge, but it is more stable, robust and flexible. I got the stuff last week & plugged them in, added a switch in the basement, plugged all of the HT stuff into the switch and it just works.

A side note. When I did the basement a couple of years ago, I used x_10 lighting in the room. Research for that led me to install a phase coupler on the electric box. Do some research, but the really overly simplified explanation is that the thing turns a two sided electrical box into a single entity so that X-10 signals (and any other signals) are dependable and don't "get lost" going from one side of the electrical box to the other. I have NEVER had a problem with the X-10 lighting (folks that do have problems eliminate them by installing a coupler)

I had this in the back of my mind and felt it would greatly enhance the dependability of powerline adapters. I can't swear it made a difference, but I have not had a single problem with the powerline stuff. I suspect most folks with problems here would solve them with a phase coupler, especially in older homes.

Hopefully this hasn't put you to sleep. I Don't know if it will make Tom less bitter.