So I took my girlfriend to get her windows tinted today and while we were waiting I just so happened to stumble into the home theater section of my local audio advice (a small "high end" audio store for both home and car audio).

They let me audition the Jl Audio Gotham

This thing is 3800 watts of pure power. I watched some dolby digital scenes I had from a sampler DVD... we watched some clips from monsters, LOTR, u571. We also watched some dolby truehd clips from the spider man 3 bluray.

HOLY CRAP THIS SUB IS AMAZING. During the spider man 3 scene when the guy is in the chamber turning into sand it felt like a ninja came up and was repeatedly drop kicking me in the chest. I have never felt LFE like i did with this sub. This was by far the best sub I have ever heard, but who would expect any less weighing in at 360+ pounds and sporting 3800 watts all for the incredibly steep price of $11,000.

That being said- we were in a pretty small room that was closed off, and I was pretty close to the sub.

The 13" JL audio fathom was a good sub too- but not nearly as impressive. It was a very small sub (looked to by a good deal smaller than the ep 500.)

I would give it a slight edge over my ep500, but not by much. And I would be willing to bet that if I placed my ep500 next to it in such a small sealed off room it would perform just as well as the f113 fathom. (the fathom is a whopping $3500 as well)

Anyway- just thought I'd mention that if anyone was looking to spend $11,000 on a subwoofer the gotham is one hell of a sub.

Now where did I put all of my loose change.... ;\)

P.S.- they had some dynaudio speakers hooked up that were pretty impressive too... but probably very pricey

-David