I’m not sure if this will help as I’m getting a little confused reading through some of the posts but I tested all this about a year ago when I got my system and people on various forums were telling me I was “wrong” for running my Denon 2807 as LFE+Mains with the mains set to large and crossed over at 200 Hz well above the roll off of the EP500. I measured a substantially flatter bass response below 100 Hz and the bass sounded tighter.

I tested using the Avia 200 Hz and down low frequency pass from the Left Main to the subwoofer with the sub always set to yes. All tests done with SPL meter held near driver cone.

1. Main=small / Sub=LFE - main Spl dropped and Sub spl increased as signal passed through the crossover setting.

2. Main=small / Sub=LFE+Mains - same as above.

3. Main=large / Sub=LFE - Spl stayed steady at the main through full range. No output from the subwoofer.

4. Main=large / Sub=LFE+Main - Spl stayed steady at the main through full range. Spl at subwoofer increased as signal passed through the crossover setting.

I also tested the LFE crossover setting on the crossover menu. Using both the 200 Hz and down low frequency pass from the Left main to the sub and the 100 Hz and down LFE channel only test tone.

1. The LFE crossover had no effect on the signal being redirected from the Left main.

2. On the LFE channel test tone only the signal below the crossover setting was playing from the subwoofer.

I’m not sure what other people have tested and certainly my results only apply to the 2807 however as far as I can see it works just like John has been saying it should. Which is how I read (well best I could) the manual.

As I understand it the LFE+Main setting is to let you use your mains (assuming they go low) to help balance out the bass the same why you would by running multiple subwoofers. In my room this measurably works in the 40 to 100 Hz range.

Last edited by grunt; 05/09/08 03:30 AM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1