Originally Posted By: terzaghi

If it is only valid when fronts are set to large then why is there an option to do it in the first place, and furthermore why does it sound different?
Not sure as why it sounds different but they probably left it available as it shouldn't matter if it is selected if speakers are set to small as you now have an available and active crossover in the settings just as the LFE+Mains will allow for a crossover when main speakers are set to large.

Quote:
I understand the LFE+main with speakers set to large is essentially like a crossover that does not remove the 'crossed-over' frequencies from the mains- essentially doubling the bass throughout a certain frequency range. Maybe it does not double the bass but it allows it to be played from multiple places- the mains and the sub... kind of like having multiple subs- one of which can not play very low.

No the LFE+Mains settings now allows for the crossover to be active when the mains are set to large so any frequencies below the crossover is only sent to the sub and not to the mains to prevent the doubling of the bass, at least below the crossover.

Quote:
I guess I am still unlcear what happens when you use the LFE+main setting when all speakers are set to small,
it is not really used as the default programming is to send all frequencies below the crossover point from any speaker set to small to the sub.

Quote:
and what the difference is when using this setting for music that is only 2 channel in the first place.

The LFE+Mains should be allowing a crossover point to work on speakers set to large during 2 channel listening, You are remembering to look in the GUI at the direct/2channel set up menu for all this right? As it is a seperate setting from the rest of the system.
 Quote:
I think part of my confusion is what exactly does this setting do to the LFE channel, and what exactly does it do to frequencies below the crossover point on small speakers.

Well for 2 channel there is no LFE channel so the setting essentially just allows for a crossover to be active if the speakers set to large redirecting frequencies below the crossover to the sub as if the speakers were set to small.

If the speakers are set to small the processor automatically allows the crossover to work, the LFE+Mains setting no longer matters, so anything below the crossover point will be sent to the sub.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70