I keep an aluminum bat by my bed for unwanted visitors. (I prefer the ring they make when hitting bone over wood). The handguns and riffles are out in the open for anyone to use, if they can find the ammo. My kids were taught how to shoot along with gun safety at a very early age so I don’t worry about them using poor judgment. My 14 year old boy can shoot a pop can off a branch standing without a rest at 100 yards with his 30-06. I don’t hide or lock up the booze either. I just teach the kids what it can do to you if consumed in excess (by example). They have no desire to be an idiot so they don’t sneak the booze and they don’t feel the desire to “play” with any of the firearms because they can use them all, very well.

Rick, the 40 is a great caliber for auto and with hollow points, will put down whatever two legged varmint you hit in a way that they won’t be bothering you anytime soon. I shoot a Beretta in that caliber (pre-ban, Israeli made). My other pistol is a Ruger Super Red-Hawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. I take that with me when I venture out in the bush for bear protection. If a big griz decides he wants to eat me, I'll just use the 44 on myself.

A buddy of mine has a 600 Smith with a 4” barrel. Loudest, most obnoxious thing to shoot I’ve ever held. I think they are for men to buy who feel some need to compensate for something…… Why anyone would want to fire anything larger than a 44 mag is behond me.....