I have a Tech Craft stand, unfortunately a corner model because I didn't know any better at the time, which complicates getting an LD player to fit on the shelf. But I digress ...

If I shift my DLP all the way to the back, the most space I can get on the front of the stand is about 5", and the foot for the TV complicates the idea of placing a horizontal center right on top of the stand unless I come up with some sort of blocks to put at either end -- and even so I would expect the VP150 to be front-heavy so I'd need to strap it down somehow too for stability.

I've thought about placing the VP150 on a couple of stands right in front of the TV/stand to elevate it to the level of the TV's built-in speakers, just below the display area. This would admittedly be somewhat awkward, especially wrt getting to equipment on the shelves.

Back when I was looking at Atlantic Technology speakers, I appreciated the fact that the center had both HF rolloff and boundary compensation switches on their centers, but with a better modern AVR like the beloved Denon 3808, does Audyssey effectively do the same thing?

Many of the vertical-center discussions I've found talk about the M2 above and below but I would think that the M2 would be a better match for small-room systems with bookshelf mains than with the M80's I'm planning, and that an M22 would be the better option - it would seem to be more comparable to the VP100, at least. If I raised the TV up on a 6" plinth of some sort, I could fit an M50 in there but I think that'd be pushing things from a WAF and safety -- not to mention viewing -- angle.

Either way, my system will likely be overkill for my needs anyway. Frequent listening positions will likely be at most 20º off-center, and within (perhaps just barely) the fronts.

If I do decide to order both an M22 and a VP150 to try for a center, might someone out there be able to recommend good test material for use when comparing the two?

photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4
photo 5

Last edited by anthony11; 05/23/08 08:25 PM.